Sambar Recipe(#LC14036): A piquant lentil-based broth finding its roots in South India, this crowd-pleaser tastes best with a bowl of steamed rice or a plate of idlis
Split pigeon pea
Dry Red Chili
How to make sambar recipe?
1. The ingredients quantity can be set as per your serving requirement under Change Serving. We recommend you set it prior to the start.
2. Cook split pigeon peas(toor dal), salt, turmeric powder and 1 cup of water in the pressure cooker. When dal gets cooked mash the dal well.
3. Add 2 cups of water in a deep pan.
4. Add drumstick (1-2 inch piece), cubed potatoes, diced red pumpkin, chopped tomatoes to the water along with salt. Cover and cook until all vegetables are cooked.
5. In another pan, heat oil.
6. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, curry leaves, dry red chilli sliced shallots and green chillis to the oil in the pan and saute.
7. Then add sambar powder and mashed dal and continue stirring.
8. After stirring add the cooked vegetables along with the water in which they were cooked and mix.
9. Add tamarind pulp and mix well. Simmer until vegetable are cooked.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and best served with rice/idli/dosas.
Cooking pot -Deep - with lid